There are three areas where you can configure custom questions.
- The Household Member screen, called demographics
- The Registration Screen, called registration questions
- The Visit Screen, called interview questions
On each of these screens, you can group the questions in blocks to help visually organize the different questions if you have a bunch of them. Each of these blocks are called Question Blocks.
To modify your questions, click on the settings menu and then select the appropriate block section to set up. You must have at least on question block in order to add questions. After you have created a question block, you can then create questions to add to that block.
Let’s start by adding a demographic question to the household member screen.
- Click Settings on the navigation menu, then select Demographic Blocks
- If the desired block already exists, you can skip to step 6
- Click Create a New Demographic Block
- Give it a name, indicate if the block should show on the left, center, or right side of the screen, and tell it what order it should be in if there are more blocks in that column.
- Save the block.
- Click Setup on the navigation and choose Demographics
- Click Create a new Demographic
- Give it a name. This will display as the question on the household member screen
- Indicate the data type (more on that below)
- Tell it which block to put the question in
- Enter the sort order for that question
- Make sure to mark it Active
- Check if this question should be required
- Save the question
- String: A single line of text
- Integer: A number with no decimal places
- Decimal: A number with fractions
- Currency: A number in currency format
- Boolean: A yes no question that will display as a check box
- Text: A text block for entering a larger amount of text
- Date: A simple date, will provide a date picker for entry
- DateTime: Date and Time entry
- Picklist: Select from a pre-defined list of choices
- MultiSelect: Like a picklist but you can choose more than one of the options
In order to use a pick list as the data type for a question, you first need to define the list.
- Click Settings on the navigation and Picklists
- Create New Picklist
- Give it a name and click Create
- Add items to the list
- If you want to change the order in which the items display, you can grab the right edge of the row and drag it to a different spot on the list.
- Click Save when you are done
Now when you go to the Household Member screen, your new question will display. The process is exactly the same for adding questions to the Registration and Visit screens.