One of the advanced features within Pantrysoft is the Batch Visit. This is a tool for recording service to a group of people when you can not check them all in individually. Often times this is used for something like a congregate meal or school back pack program.
In case it is helpful to understand what is happening “under the hood,” when you record a visit, Pantrysoft creates one visit record and a householdMemberVisit record for each person in the household at the time of the visit. When you run reports that display the number of people served, the system is counting these householdMemberVisit records. Normally, the householdMemberVisit records correspond back to a Household member record tied to the selected client.
But in the case of the batch visit, we just create the number of householdMemberVisit records needed to indicate how many people were served. The system doesn’t really care that they don’t link back to actual household members.
A few steps are needed in order to prepare the system for Batch visits.
- In the admin program in system options check the box to enable Batch Visits.
- You will also need to create two new visit types. The names are arbitrary, but we recommend “Batch Template” and “Batch Visit.” This is done through the Pick List Editing Screen.
- Back in the Main program create a client to use for your batch visits and check the box indicating this is a batch visit client. This could be something like “Paxson Elementary School,” or “Church Meal Center.”
- Create a visit for the Batch client and set it to visit type ‘Batch Template.”
- On the visit record make any adjustments so when you create an actual batch visit from this template it will have all the various settings that are appropriate for the data you are trying to record. The only thing that will vary is the date and number of people served.
- Back in the Admin program you will now click Edit Batch Definitions. On this screen you give the batch a description, select the batch client, template, and what visit type should be created from the template. When done, click Add New Definition.
Creating a Batch Visit
- In the main program click the Batch Visits button
- Select the appropriate definition.
- Indicate the Gender, Age, and Count of the people served. You may not know the exact ages of the people you served. Just select an age that puts them into the correct category for your reporting. For example, if you served children, make them ten years old, if you served seniors, make them 65.
- Once you have added the various groups served, set the date and click Create Visit.
On the reporting screen there will be options to include or exclude the batch visits from your standard reports. There will also be a tab for running batch specific reports.